JOB VACANCY, ADDIS ABABA: Download as PDF
Operations and Marketing Manager
Run Africa is a company which enables running enthusiasts to train with elite athletes, to discover the continent’s vibrant running culture, and to immerse themselves in the landscapes and routines which have produced generations of Olympic champions.
Our portfolio comprises guided customised running tours for every level of runner and altitude training packages for individual athletes and clubs.
The responsibilities and duties of the Run Africa Operations and Marketing Coordinator include the following:
(A) Implement all training sessions and programmes for Run Africa clients – including client communication, programme design and athlete-trainer management
- Communicate with clients and ensure their satisfaction: from first inquiry through to post-trip evaluation: assess clients’ needs, running experience, expectations and time availability, and based on this, draw up training programmes to suit them. Answer their questions and integrate their expectations and requests where possible.
- Manage all logistics to ensure that clients’ demands and expectations are met: coordinate implementation of programmes, modify programmes where necessary, ensure that training sessions are covered if athlete trainer is not available, and ensure that all health and safety requirements are met (including availability of first aid on runs and personal-injury waiver forms, one per client).
- Manage all non-training / fitness activities: brief clients and organise their accommodation, meals and transport arrangements wherever necessary.
- Assess clients’ ability, monitor their sporting performance and enjoyment, and encourage them to join Run Africa AC training sessions when appropriate.
- Collect feedback from athlete trainers after every run and from clients periodically.
- Manage athlete trainers: share training programmes with them, ensure that every trainer always arrives punctually, follows the training programme correctly and telephones immediately after each session in order to give feedback and to discuss client’s performance and wellbeing.
- Ensure that every training session is covered in rare cases when a scheduled trainer suddenly becomes unavailable.
- Assist in the recruitment and orientation of new athlete trainers who have the sufficient skills, experience, language ability and commitment to contribute to Run Africa – both from within and without Run Africa AC.
- When required, help to plan and deliver training workshops to Run Africa AC athletes and athlete trainers in life skills, English language, goal setting, massage, driving, hairdressing and / or other key skills.
(B) Manage Run Africa’s sales and marketing activities social media content and marketing – including promotional-material printing and preparation, marketing networking all social media content
- Promote Run Africa online and in print (in brochures and newspapers), marketing through face-to-face meetings and presentations with hotels, embassies, schools, tour companies and other institutions.
- Liaise and build relationships with partner institutions – hotels, tour companies, NGOs and so on.
- Generate and compile innovative media content which promotes Run Africa: take photographs, document recent Run Africa news, write individual case stories and anecdotes, gather athletics news and running research, and maintain our social media sites (FB-Insta-Twitter plus Run Africa News page).
- Network for Run Africa online, including searching for travel clubs, overseas athletics clubs to add to our MailChimp and marketing lists.
- Assist with Run Africa’s marketing outreach, preparing presentations and attending trade shows and timely client correspondence.
- Use own initiative to seek sponsorship and funding opportunities for Run Africa, including sourcing graphic designers and web support as necessary.
(C) Additional responsibilities
- Draft proposals for funding, grants and sponsorship.
- Participate in planning meetings to forecast trends, set plans, and review company progress.
- Ensure that all insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are rigorously adhered to.
- Maintain confidentiality of classified Run Africa information.
- Support Run Africa colleagues on designated tasks as they arise.
- Address disciplinary matters and customer complaints as they arise.
- Work with professionalism, honesty and integrity at all times, including communicating regularly and transparently with colleagues.
Requirements for the position:
- College degree in business, sales, marketing, management or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of recent and successful marketing, sales, management or related experience in similar positions. Group sales experience a plus.
- Advanced computer skills with a proficiency in InDesign, MS Windows-based applications.
- Experience using social media for business.
- Solid writing and editing skills in English.
- Experience with upscale clientele, private clubs or travel agencies a plus.
- Well organized, accurate with numbers and strict attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritise and meet multiple deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivated, self-starter, outgoing, goal and service oriented.
- Enthusiastic and friendly personality with a high energy level.
- Nature and outdoor oriented (running, hiking, photography, etc.) a bonus.
- This is a full-time, results-driven position for experienced, self-confident professionals. Competitive salary.
- Experience and influence as part of a dynamic and flexible small-business team.
- Salary and benefits are negotiable, and commission for business-development achievements can be discussed.
- Trial period of 45 days.